Thursday, October 9, 2008

Illustration Friday - "Sugary"

Here is the final illustration for this week's Illustration Friday. Though I had planned on doing a linocut print for the art piece, on a whim I changed my mind and did a painting.












"Sugarcane Fields", acrylic on canvas
Last weekend my family and I watched the movie "Amazing Grace". When I saw this week's for IF, I instantly thought of a scene in the movie where slaves were being worked to produce refined sugar.

Our society has come a long way since then, yet there is still slavery in the world. I also think of the many migrant workers who are major contributing factor to California's economy (if not the country and beyond).


We still have much work to do.

3 comments:

joseph's art and stuff said...

great painting and a strong message, we do have a lot of work to do

Timaree said...

This turned out really nice. It's a great picture all by itself but the message is good too. I think slavery even goes beyond immigrant labor to people who are working 3 jobs because the pay is so low they can't afford to live on one. I know everyone can't be rich but you'd think they wouldn't have to spend all their time working and worrying. I know too many people living in single rooms now because life is too expensive.

Ann said...

Great painting and powerful message.