Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sermon Painting Prep

For Easter Sunday I will be doing another "sermon painting". As our minister gives the message, I will be painting on a 4' x 6' canvas. I think I have the basic design down pretty well. Here it is:


This particular design is drawn on a smaller canvas that I plan to paint before this Sunday. It will act as a study before I do the real thing. It is really challenging to prepare for this sort of thing because I can't really afford to practice on a same size canvas as the one the finished painting will be on. There is always an element of "Can I really do this?"
In my mind's eye the design and colors are pretty clear. However, most viewers, at this point, will have to use their imagination to understand that the drawing is a terra cotta sculpture being shaped and transformed by "spiritual" hands (the hands of God). If that's not clear as mud, then you'll have to probably wait a few more days to see the end result.


Oh, by the way, I am going to try to get my wife to take pictures of the painting in progress so I can do a slide show. Is that possible with Blogger?

No comments: