Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pet Drawings 8, 9, 10





Well, I started a little late in the week, but I finished 10 drawings. There have been a few comments suggesting that 10 sketches per week as being a lot to do. Though I am finding it is taking some adjustment with my time management, it is really not that bad. I am putting the same work load on myself as one of my art professors did on his students back in my college days. He told us that 10 drawings per week was the minimum, therefore, that would yield a minimum grade of "C". Obviously he wanted us to do more. Ah, those were the days! Anyway, I think the thing I learned most from that experience is that the practice of drawing is a repetitive process and that doing more than one drawing per sitting is a very effective way to develop as an artist. The misconception that many beginning artists have is that drawings have to take a lot of time in order to be good drawings. But that is not true. Some of my favorite drawings that I have done have been drawn in a matter of seconds. All three of these cat drawings were completed in less than 10 minutes.
Mr. Frodo likes his new scratch mat, though I haven't seen him scratch it yet. He hasn't scratched the floor yet either so I guess I'll have to wait and see what he does. Cats can be so temperamental!
Drawn with a 0.9mm mechanical pencil.

3 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

You've definitely got the body language of cats down perfectly! Glad Mr. Frodo likes his new mat! nancy

Alex said...

If I don't take pictures of my cat, I don't think I'll be able to sketch him ever because he's so hyperactive ahahahaha.
Like Nancy said, you've captured them really well.

Unknown said...

Great drawings David.