Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pets #1, 2, 3, 4

Saw Momma Ninja's challenge of drawing the same subject 100 times. I was inspired to take on the challenge too. Initially, I was just going to draw my dog Ruby, but then I decided to also include my cats Mr. Frodo and Samantha. Didn't want to leave them out of the challenge.
I plan to draw at least 10 drawings per week for at least a couple of reasons. First, I don't want to spend forever trying to complete this challenge. I might lose interest. Secondly, creating more than one drawing per sitting keeps a certain momentum that allows for a deeper understanding of the subjects that are being depicted.
I am devoting an entire sketchbook for the challenge. It is a Cranson Biggie, which actually has 125 pages. Ah, what's 25 more pages?
Here are the first 4 pages from today. Drawn with a graphite pencil.




13 comments:

E*phi said...

Super awesome sketches! I love all of them, but especially the two cats! You really got talent for catching that special something of them - with a "few lines"! Really great!
I want to join the challenge too. Still pondering over which topic to choose. My favorites are cats and humans. I find them both beautiful and I can't draw any of them properly...

martinepittet said...

Lovely sketches. I'm sure you'll find enough attitudes and expressions to cover your 100 drawings challenge !

Shirley said...

Sounds like a great challenge to yourself and O look forward to following along with you.

Patsy Taylor-Craw said...

Wonderful sketches and great idea to use your pets. They will certainly give you plenty of inspiration.

Janene said...

Great sketches--my favorite is the dog on the left. The shading give it so much depth.

Sandra said...

They are looking great! What's an extra 25 pages? Go ahead and fill them.

Unknown said...

Wonderful start!

Momma Ninja said...

Awesome drawings! I love the way you have captured them without over doing the drawing. The shapes are so perfect. I am inspired.

Revelle Taillon said...

Your lines feel like hugs around your pets. That's the best way I can describe how I feel when I see them!

David R. Vallejo said...

Thank you all for the very positive comments.
Revelle, that is a great description. I will have to remember that.

nanke's stuff said...

I love each and every one of these drawings. Ruby is a sweetie, and you really captured Frodo and ..... I'm sorry, I've forgotten the other cat's name. Anyhow, they're really great and it's obvious you love them. nancy

Timaree said...

Great sketches of your animals. Good luck on the challenge.

Lesley Purcell said...

Four lovely sketches. I especially like the one of the two cats, the way you have captured the pose and the softness of the fur of each animal with so few pencil marks is very clever. Great skill!