Thursday, June 2, 2011

30 Days of Creativity: Bicycle

Here's the start of another challenge for the month of June. 30 Days of Creativity is an online challenge to simply do something creative everyday in June. I'm choosing to use it as motivation to build my illustration portfolio, but anything, visual, music, etc., can be done.
Since I've been wanting to have more cat and dog illustrations in my work, those will be my subjects for 30 days. There are also optional prompts for each day if participants want to use them. I decided to use the prompts, so today's prompt is "bicycle".
I have included a study, which I drew as my wife was shopping for a wedding shower at the mall. It's been a busy day so luckily I was able to find a place to sit and work out the the concept. This is drawn with a Bic gel pen.



















This illustration may seem like a typical "cats and dogs" image. However, it personally depicts my experience as a boy. I liked riding my bike a lot, but some times there were dogs in the neighborhood that would get loose and, well, you get the idea. It's a wonder I survived childhood!
The final illustration with drawn with pen, brush and India ink. I didn't have time to add watercolor. Maybe later.











3 comments:

Stephanie Vallejo said...

I love this one. I really like how detailed it is, to the point that the bike's label says, "Feline." Very clever.

Alex said...

Fantastic perspective. Really like the steps as well =) seeing the outlines and the the final work, it's just awesome!

Sandra said...

With humor you completed the challenge!