Friday, April 19, 2013

Illustration Friday: Wild (late)

Even though I spent most of yesterday working on this illustration I still ended up finishing it after the deadline. I guess I'm still figuring out the digital medium because if I used traditional materials I probably would have finished it in no time. Unlike my other work, this illustration is completely digital. I still have a lot to learn with the medium.

This illustration is based on the idea that Christian music/media, though it has made lots progress in a positive way over the past 20 years or so, still seems to lack its own voice. For example, in Christian music, there are many genres, such as Country, Jazz, Rock, Alternative, etc. However, it's not the other way around. One would never see "Christian" as an optional genre in mainstream secular music. Now I realize that a lot of Christian music is intended to reach out to a secular audience and I think that's great. But I think, in order to have a little more artistic substance and integrity, Christian media needs to find a way tocreate its own identity, its own voice.


No comments: