Wednesday, January 20, 2010

O'Brien Jokes

Wow, this was a lot more work than I wanted it to be. I experimented with colored inks on this one and I was reminded why one should never try something new before testing it.
In this picture, I carefully drew with red and blue contour lines, but when it came to adding watercolor I found that the colored inks were not truly waterproof as indicated on the bottles. I had the most difficult time keeping my lines from being washed out.
After I was done painting I didn't like how the picture scanned so I manipulated it digitally. I am not totally happy with the outcome of this illustration but as least it was a good learning experience.

Created with ink, watercolor, digital.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot tell you had problems with this! And the red hair really makes it Conan!

David R. Vallejo said...

Thanks, Raena. Next time I will apply watercolor first and then the colored ink.