Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New Sketchbook


I couldn't resist trying out my new sketchbook today. Since I dedicated my last sketchbook to pen and ink, for this next one I will only draw with pencil. Sometimes I like putting constraints on how I approach my art. It takes a lot of discipline to practice restraint. I find it results in discovering different nuances of the medium, technique, style, etc. that I am using. I am eager to see what discoveries will be found in this next sketchbook.

To start off, I drew my dog Ruby who likes to lay close to me as I draw. What a great subject!

Drawn with a 0.9mm mechanical pencil.

15 comments:

martinepittet said...

Beautifully done !!

Alex said...

I really like the sketch, and the subject. How can anyone not fall in love with the expression like that? ^^

Sketch Gurl said...

Ruby's expressions can melt people's heart. Such a fine sketch!

Patsy Taylor-Craw said...

She is beautiful and so is her sketch.

Ramona Davidson said...

I like the pencil sketch of her. It shows more of her character and heart than the sharpie ones.

Kimb said...

Your sketch makes me want to reach out and scratch her behind the ears - and I'm not a dog person!

donna said...

Terrific work. I look forward to your adventures with graphite.

Marsha Baker said...

Great sketch, looks like Ruby is a great pet.

Lynn Logan Roselli said...

Really lovely drawing!

Anetka said...

Lovely and fine sketch:)

Ellen Burkett said...

What a wonderful drawing! Personality captured perfectly

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sketch! Ruby looks like such a sweetie!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! I love how her face is pushed against the couch--so expressive!

Sandy said...

\Lovely expression in those eyes!

nanke's stuff said...

What a sweetie she is, and a great portrait of her. nancy