Thursday, January 20, 2011

Abstract Lesson

Yesterday was my final class for high school. We created abstract pictures. I allowed a lot of creative license for the class. My only perimeters were that they had to draw at least one triangle, circle and square. They could draw more than one of any of the shapes and draw them in any size, even if the shape didn't fit the paper. They could even overlap the shapes or keep them separate. Finally, they had the option of using pencil, oil pastel, watercolor (tempera), color pencil, or any combination of mediums to render their pictures. I worked up some examples to give them a graphic idea of what they could do, and I also worked on my own picture as they created theirs. To my surprise they were very receptive to the project and I was very impressed with the general creativity of the classes. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take photos of their work. Here's are the examples of what I did for the lesson.






























































































6 comments:

Alex said...

What a fun exercise. I remember doing one of these when I was in school too. =) You're such an awesome art teacher!

jill said...

I dont remember any of my art lessons. I wish I were back at school now though but probably just being in an art class and yours sounds like fun

Sandra said...

Lucky kids. The exercise gave them plenty of freedom and they learned something!!

Unknown said...

It would be interesting to know what order you did these in. I think they get better and better as I move down the page!

David R. Vallejo said...

Raena - I just rearranged the pics in the order that I created them. The first 3 I did at home and the others were in class. I did one more but I gave it to one of the students who really liked it.

Barbara B said...

This looks like a great exercise for composition, form, values, however you want to apply it.