Thursday, January 20, 2011

Illustration Friday: Chicken II


Even though I already submitted a piece for this week's topic, I still wanted to work out an illustration as if it were an assignment. For me it is important to approach Illustration Friday as if it were an actual assignment because it is much more than simply posting a final image. The creative process is crucial part of taking on any illustration assignment, as much as the final art. If I just dish out art from my archives, then I am doing myself a disservice by not going through the ups and downs of the creative process of illustration.
This piece is inspired by the opening of a chicken wings restaurant here in town. They have a contest where one has to eat 12 of their spiciest wings in 6 minutes. I assume that no consumption of beverages is allowed during the eating. The one who successfully endures the event gets to buy a special t-shirt (buy - what a bummer!) and have their photo taken to hang on their wall of fame. Being one who enjoys spicy food, it is tempting to give it a try. Maybe for my birthday.
Illustration created with watercolors, India ink, and gesso.

6 comments:

Alex said...

I am a big fan of hot stuff too, and I'd totally go for it. Good luck David!
Remember, the hot stuff goes in spicy and comes out as spicy :p

Cathy Holtom said...

This guy looks as if he should have a 'free' T shirt, he's really suffering! Great illustration.

Alex said...

Nice sketch by the way! ^^

nanke's stuff said...

Yikes! That chicken would be waaay too hot for me by the looks of this guy! You did a great job with this. nancy

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, what a face! Wonderful illustration! Love the color! I'm afraid I'd have to count myself out of that competition...I can barely tolerate jalapenos! (and that is only if they are de-seeded and mixed in really well with other food!)

Anonymous said...

Great painting! The poor guy really looks in agony!