Saturday, August 13, 2011

Art Battle 2011

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do the Art Battle this year. There's been a lot of personal stuff that has been distracting me this summer. Through it all, it has been difficult to conjure up enough motivation to do any art, especially preparing for the competition. But at nearly the last minute I put together a plan for a design that I was happy with.
Here's a pic of me and the son drawing side by side. After last year's event, he really wanted to give it a go this year. I'm very proud of him for doing his best and taking the opportunity to have the Art Battle experience.









Here's me half way through my design. I'm used the sun to dry my watercolor washes so I could go back over it with India ink. The warm Stockton weather is just a little less slower than using a hairdryer to dry the paint.











The son finished way before me. He was asked if he wanted to draw another picture but he declined. It's a lot of work making pictures! :)








Almost done. Still utilizing the photo references, even for the final touches.








Me and the son proudly standing by our completed works of art.








A closer view of the son's work. Goku and Vegeta having drinks at Starbuck's. Created with graphite pencil and colored pencils on paper. Good job!
















Here's my work. King Kong climbing Burn's Tower (a Stockton landmark) and Stockton
Mayor Ann Johnston peaking into the picture plane, "Magnificent!" This cracked me up when I though of the idea. At least I can entertain myself :) Created with watercolor, pen/brush and India ink.

5 comments:

Cathy Holtom said...

It's great to see father and son working side by side. Great work both of you, although I'm not quite sure what an 'art battle' is!

David R. Vallejo said...

Thanks, Cathy. I guess I didn't explain the Art Battle. It is a competition to help raise money for a local art studio that educates kids in the visual arts. It was held in downtown Stockton during the First Friday Artwalk. Observers were given the opportunity to vote for their favorite works of art in different categories. I won the teacher category (Yay!) There was also a silent auction to raise funds to support the studio.

nanke's stuff said...

What a fun thing to do, especially with your son! I think both of your pieces are really special. I love your idea of including the mayor - how funny! lol nancy

Lynn said...

That sounds like an awesome way to spend a day, and raise money for a great charity. Here's to kids and art!

Anonymous said...

What a great project - and didn't you both produce some awsome art!