Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Illustration Friday: Sink

My first two studies for this week's topic focused on the idea of a sinker that is used for fishing. Though I liked the imagery that was starting to take shape with this idea, I decided to let it sit for a couple of days to see if I could come up with anything else. These two studies were drawn with a ball point pen.


















After asking my family what they thought of when they heard the word "sink", my wife suggested imagery that included a kitchen or bathroom sink fixture.  Again, that got me thinking of fish, however, how water life my be affected by the things some in society dispose of through our sinks.  This illustration was created with pen, brush and ink, with ink and watercolor washes.

















This may be one of the last Illustration Friday challenges that I'll be doing for a while, though I may get a couple of more in after the New Year.  After a long time searching, I have finally been able to find employment in a non art related field.  This is a bitter sweet life change as it means I will have to restructure my time for my art pursuits and readjust my goals as an art professional.  It is a good thing, but I obviously won't have time to do as much art as I would like.
So as the New Year begins, one of the art projects I will be focusing is my graphic novel.  I have already started outlining the story and sketching out the breakdowns for the storyboard.  I plan to publish the story by June, but it may take longer than that. I also want to complete my Avengers fan art series.  I have only finished one character, and so I want to finish all the other characters before the movie hits the screen in the summer time.

5 comments:

Cathy Holtom said...

Good luck with your new job, great illustrations...I like the final one most of all.

David R. Vallejo said...

Thanks, Cathy.

meegan said...

lovely line drawings, lots of great movement. hope your new jobs goes well and still fine time to draw.

Alex said...

Looks like there's going to be a big change in your life. I wish you the best and I too will have another change in less than 2 years time. I hate it but it is what it is.
I really like the sketches of the catfishes

Barbara B said...

Best of luck with the new job and with the graphic novel. We'd love to see your posts from time to time as your schedule allows. I particularly like the bathroom sink and the fish below.