Thursday, May 15, 2014

Jacen Solo and the Sith Temple

When I'm not working on commissions and illustrations I like to search the internet for various art challenges that might help me keep up on my artistic and conceptual chops. Here is a challenge that I found from the School of Visual Storytelling. They have a "Thurd Thursday" challenge where they try to have a real world assignment, as if artists are being commissioned by an art director, and artists finish the assignment before the 3rd Thursday of the month deadline.

This month's assignment is to create an environmental illustration based on a hypothetical Star Wars Episode VII (we don't know much about the anticipated film, that's why it's hypothetical.) Here is the text from which artists get their inspiration for their illustrations: "Jacen Solo exits his ship and steps foot onto the rugged planet, fearing he won't make it alive to the Sith Temple."

For my take on the topic I decided to keep it simple and just draw out my design with pen, brush, and India ink on watercolor paper, with very subtle touch-ups in Photoshop. A true Star Wars geek will be able to identify with confidence the star ship from which Jacen is exiting. :)

No comments: